New Mac Convert - Intel Mac Core Duo!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Boot Camp - Day 3

My wife woke me up with morning to tell me that there is a error message on the computer something to the effect that "There was an error in system, data has been deleted and could not be saved". YIKES!!!!!! (remember I left it on the night before on WinXP download torrent files.)

I ran downstairs to the machine to see the Windows Shut Down screen with a bunch of Error Messages on it. I clicked various pop up boxes with messages like "Error on drive F:$. Data can not be saved." So I am supposed to click "OK" or "Cancel". Of course, "Cancel" gets me nowhere. I start clicking "OK"s. After the 20th "OK", I see the "Windows is Shutting Down" message.

Anyhow, I booted back up to Mac OSX and the system seemed fine. I don't think I lost anything. But it still took over 2 minutes to boot to the Mac OSX, so I decided to try to take care of the long boot/start-up time today.

I took the Mac Mini to where I bought it at AppleCentre @ Funan Centre. I brought the Mac Mini itself, but not the power "brick" as I figured they would have one there. The technician - Louis - said that they did not have the right power brick at the workstation. He took the Mac Mini into the back of the shop. I can see that he opened it up. I walked away for awhile looking at the other toys in the shop. He called me over to a display station and proceeded to swap my Mac Mini into the place where another one was sitting. Then as the computer was booting up, he pressed some combination of keys with both hands. He says he was "reseting" it to clear the cache. He says that this only needs to be done once in a while and is usually not needed.

Whatever it was, it worked. The Mac Mini took less than 30 seconds to boot up; I did this a couple of times. I was quite happy as I packed up my Mac Mini and walked off.

I just came home and plugged the Mac Mini back in and turned it on. It took a minute to finish start-up - longer than at the shop but shorter than before. After checking email and some surfing, I decided to reboot to Windows. This is when things took a bad turn.

It refused to boot up. It kept on powering off. I gave up trying to get into Windows and just let it boot up normally into Mac OSX. It STILL powered off after about a minute. I am getting really worried. I put my hand on the Mac Mini and felt that it was pretty warm. Warmer than I have ever felt it (the Mac Mini had always been cool to the touch no matter how long it stayed on.) Now I am REALLY, REALLY worried.

Thinking back, perhaps Louis changed out the transformer or some power conversion in my Mac Mini when he took it in the back of the shop. If he did so then, it would be mean that it currently has the wrong transformer and is not compatible with my power brick at home. I am only speculating but my Mac Mini is now kaputt. Back to the AppleCentre tomorrow... GRRRRRRR....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home