New Mac Convert - Intel Mac Core Duo!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Mac Mini Troubles

It has been a while, and there is much to update.....

My MacMini has been shutting down all by itself. It seems to be because it is getting hot and the thing decides to shut off. This was consistent on both OSX and Windows. It runs for about 15 minutes and then "puff".... it goes out. Rebooting will only go partway before it goes out again. If I wait for 15 minutes and try, it will go on and then shut off again. The underside of the Mac Mini also gets hot....

Anyhow, last time I had trouble with the Mac Mini, the AppleCare guy told me that I am covered for Apple Protection Plan so they will come to my home to fix it. I thought, "that sounds like a good idea".

So this time I called up AppleCare and told them I wanted someone to come fix my Mac Mini. I called from my office because their Call Centre hours were 9am to 6pm, and I did not have my computer with me (duh). Well I was told that before they send someone over, they have to determine that it is a hardware issue and I have to do some tests for them before they will send someone over... so another day without a functioning Mac Mini.....

So I stayed home late the next day to call them. The telephone support (Australian call centre) had me put in the Install Disc and that had the Diagnostics. I had to search for the discs. So I popped the disc 1 in and followed the instructions. The next thing I know I boot up to an nice error page that tells me to reboot. And this page keeps on coming up everytime I reboot. I do the "C" reboot and choose my WinXP. WinXP boots up and then shuts down after 15 minutes still. OSX still boots into error page.

So after over 90 minutes on the phone with Apple Support, they finally agreed to send someone over. I was given the Dispatch number for QCD - who is their contractor. They would call me and arrange for a date to come fix my Mac Mini....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home