New Mac Convert - Intel Mac Core Duo!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Boot Camp - Day 5-10

Well, I went to Apple Centre on Day 5 and got my Mac Mini back. They could not replicate the problem and could not figure it out. They had the machine on overnight and it was fine. It never got hot and it never turned off....

So for the last 5 days I have been putting it through its paces and have not found the problem again. I installed LimeWire and proceeded to download many episodes of SmallVille Season 5. I left the computer on overnight on a few occasions. On the WinXP side I installed a few minor programs here and there. What I have noticed is that the boot time has degraded again to about 1 minute.

I have bought a 7-port USB hub from Sim Lim Square - there is a small shop on the topp (6th) floor that seems to be an "outlet" store for Mac and Ipod accessories. It is new and does not have proper signage, but is a proper store. They have boxes of iTrip, and other Ipod acessories. Cheap Mac keyboards (S$20) and software. I bought Toast 5 with Jam 5 for S$50. The USB hub works fine, but does not like my external HardDrive - which then has to be plugged directly to the USB port of the Mac Mini. Maybe it is a power issue.

The HardDrive above is my former PC drive which I scrapped from the carcass. It is formatted for WinXP Home on NTFS so I can access the info on there but not change or save to it. On WINXP boot of the Mac Mini, I can of course have write access. However, in both cases, I can not access my old "user" directory as I am supposed to boot into that directly, so some of my info can not be accessed at this time.

Anyhow, so far so good. I guess I have graduated from Boot Camp now and am moving on into Basic Training.

I am on the road for the next week or so, so I may not be posting here... In fact, I am on a plane right now from Singapore to London and am posting this via the plane's wifi connection provided by Boeing - www.connexionbyboeing.com !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home